It’s that time of the year. It’s time for a clear out.
The spring clean. Though it shouldn’t just be confined to spring time; we recommend to sort through your wardrobe twice a year, just in time for the new season to start i.e. Autumn/Winter or Spring/Summer.
So why is it important for you to have a spring clean?
- Clear the clutter – clear your mind. It’s surprising how refreshing it is to have a clear out and get rid of the things you don’t wear any more (don’t forget to recycle and not bin – see our post on recycling!) Your wardrobe will look cleaner and you will instantly feel better!
- It’s so important to remove those items you haven’t worn in forever. Don’t delude yourself that you are definitely going to wear that dress you haven’t worn in three years. There’s a reason why you haven’t worn it in three years. Maximum of one year, then it’s time to go.
- Having a spring clean is a great way to keep your wardrobe up to date with you. Your body size and shape may change, and though we may deny it, we are all getting older. Going through your wardrobe gives you a chance to try things on and check if they still fit. Is that short dress still something you would wear? Are those jeans just too tight now but you’re still hanging on to them? We all know the outcome here.
- Clearing out the things you don’t wear anymore means one very important thing – there’s room for new clothes! Treat yourself with a little shopping trip!
So there’s a few reasons why having a clear out will benefit you, and here are a couple of tips on how to do it.
- Set aside a Saturday morning for your spring clean. Don’t rush it (if your wardrobe looks anything like mine you will need a good few hours to try things on!) By doing it at the beginning of your weekend, you will feel that sense of accomplishment which will set you up for the rest of the weekend!
- Be brutal. Sometimes it’s easy to think ‘Oh I’ll wear that at some point…’ or ‘When I lose a bit of weight I’ll fit into those again…’ Be realistic and don’t be too sentimental to all those things you used to love.
- Have fun with it. Who says you have to do it on your own? Why not re-enact that ‘Sex and the City’ scene when Carrie tries on all her old clothes and her friends help her make the decision? It doesn’t have to be a chore!
For some more help on having a wardrobe reduction, why not read the Recovering Shopaholic’s post using the ‘KonMari Method’ here.
So there you have it. No more excuses for not clearing your clutter! Why not tell us how you got on with your latest spring clean and comment below?